Narayanganj district town rests on the banks of the Shitalakkha River, situated at coordinates 23°34’ N 90°27’E & 24°15 ’N 90°59’ E. Positioned in central Bangladesh, Narayanganj is a bustling city closely neighboring Dhaka, with a population of 5 million people. This district lies merely 20 kilometers southeast of Dhaka, boasting strong road and railway connections to the capital. Bounded by the Shitalaksha River to the east and the Buriganga River to the south and west, the district encompasses 5 Upazilas, 5 Pourashavas, and 39 Unions, spanning an area of 759.57 square kilometers. Housing 881 Mouzas and 1374 villages, Narayanganj serves as the nation’s largest river port, pivotal for trade and commerce. Notably, during the reign of Isha Khan, Sonargaon Upazila functioned as the capital of Bengal.
Narayanganj’s Name and Historical Evolution
The town’s appellation is attributed to Bicon Lal Pandey, a revered Hindu spiritual leader also known as Benur Thakur or Lakhsmi Narayan Thakur. In 1766, following the Battle of Plassey, he obtained a lease for the area from the British East India Company. He generously donated markets and riverside land, designating them as Devottor or God-given property, reserved for worship expenses of the deity Narayan. A post office was established in 1866, with the Dhaka-Narayanganj telegraph service inaugurated in 1877. The Bank of Bengal introduced the area’s first telephone service in 1882. The Narayanganj Municipality was established in 1876, and the Narayanganj Victoria Hospital, the district’s first hospital, was founded in 1885, funded by Harakanta Banerjee.
Geographical Boundaries and River Divisions
Narayanganj District is bordered by Gazipur and Narsingdi District to the north, Brahmanbaria and Comilla District to the east, Munshiganj District to the south, and Dhaka District to the west. The Shitalakshya River divides the town into two sections: the Narayanganj Municipal Area and the Kadam Rasul Municipal Area. This region is traversed by several small artificial canals fueled by monsoon rains. Annual rainfall averages 2550 mm, with 80 to 90% occurring between May and October.
Historical and Architectural Riches
The district boasts several archaeological and historical treasures, including the tomb of Sultan Giusuddin Azam Shah (1389-1411), the Mosque of Saleh Baba (1481), the Mosque of Goaldi (1519), the Mosque of Sultan Jalal uddin Fateh Shah (1484), the Killa of Isha Khan at Haziganj, and the Sonakanda Fort, among others. Additionally, rivers like Balu and Dakeshwary flow through the district. Known as the “Dandee of the East” during British rule due to its Jute industry, Narayanganj continues to play a pivotal role in the national economy. Today, the district hosts numerous industries, including garments, small and medium factories, and is famed for producing exquisite “Jamdani” sarees. Furthermore, Narayanganj contributes significantly to the nation’s power generation, accounting for 20% of the country’s total output.
Narayanganj At a Glance
Upazila Road: 284.85 km
Union Road: 179.76Km
Village Road: “786.05Km VA 1902.05Km VB”
No. of Upazila: 5
No. of Union: 39
No. of Pourashava: 5
No. of Primary School: 512
No. of High School: 126
No. of College: 20
Upazila of Narayanganj District
5. Narayanganj Sodor
Pouroshovas of Narayanganj District
Union Parishad of Every Upazila of Narayanganj District
1. Narayanganj Sodor Upazila
2. Araihazar Upazila
3. Rupganj Upazila
4. Bandar Upazila
5. Sonargaon Upazila